Friday, March 27, 2020

MARCH SOMETHING, 2020

Good morning folks. The faculty has been running around like a bunch of little squirrels trying to adapt to this "new method" of school. It is definitely weird--I DO NOT enjoy working exclusively from a computer....A couple of quick hits you should pay attention to!!!!

*FAILURES: During this "quarantine time," it is important to remember that no work is being "turned in" or "graded." It is all enrichment, discussion, and a focus on independent learning. And I want to help you in any way I can! So, to be clear, NO NEW GRADING until we get back to "regular" school. HOWEVER, if you were failing in InfiniteCampus as of Friday March 13--when all this craziness happened--you DEFINITELY CAN STILL MAKE STUFF UP! For example, if you didn't get a composition to me, you can definitely email or share it with me...and I will not penalize you, even!!! #Whatagreataudience! Obviously, I do not have access to all "test copies" and things (since I am not in school)....but if I have it saved on my computer, I can get them to you. Or we can find a "make up" alternate assignment I will definitely be looking through IC in the coming days, and I will try to reach failing students individually....but, IF YOU ARE FAILING, TRY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME!!! It will streamline things. If there are any questions, let me know!

*DUAL ENROLLMENT STUDENTS: This is for you. Stay tuned. Although Winslow High School is not doing any "new work" or grading, Thomas, KVCC, etc have indicated that, if students are still interested in getting the COLLEGE CREDIT, they will need to do some work. The details of this are being ironed out by the administration, the colleges, etc. BUT STAY TUNED!!! I MAY (and this is subject to change, so this is not definite) assign the final novel I was going to do with you anyway: TRESPASSER by Paul Doiron. If I go with this, there are copies of the novel at the school that Mr Bell or someone will have for you if you choose to stop by and get one. That is just ONE EXAMPLE of something we may do. As always, if we do a novel, there are copies for you at the school, but this may be a PRIME TIME to consider buying your own copy....you will love the book anyway, and you will wanna keep it anyway, so.....:/ #whatagreataudienceagain! STAY TUNED!

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BE ACTUALLY DOING RIGHT NOW??????

1. Living your best life the best way you know how during the crappy situaishhhhhhh. Read for pleasure. Continue observing and thinking. Watch documentaries. Play board games. BE AN INDEPENDENT LEARNER!!! Consider doing some of the assignments, writing prompts, readings I offer. Remember, it is all for enrichment.

2. WRITE COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP LETTERS....and have me look at them if you would like...this WILL all end and you WILL go to college and you WILL take me out for DairyQueen this summer to talk about it!!! Haha. So get some free money!

3. READ THIS WEB SITE DAILY!!! NOW MORE THAN EVER!!!!!! ***Note***I am going to try to do MOST of my work/discussion/teaching from this site. This is my HEADQUARTERS.  However, SOMETIMES I may share things with you over email too! So check that. I will let you know. Although I love EMAILING you folks on an individual basis (and keep it up, cuz I have heard from a lot of you!!!) I prefer to reach ALL OF YOU on this web site.

4. I am still toying around with GoogleMeets and video stuff like that.....but, considering how awkward I am in REAL LIFE, can you imagine a #VIRTUALGOLDSMITH???? My jokes just won't come across the same. IDK GUYYYYY. We will see. For now, just check this site

5. FINALLY, I may ask you to create a (FREE) account for a web site called COMMON LIT. It has A TON of great essays and articles I may suggest. More about that later!

6. Stay in touch! Teaching from a computer/over the Internet is NOT in my "DNA." You know that I am a social, interactive, #manofthepeople and NOTHING takes the place of physically being there with my students. But, EMAIL ME and we can chat! We can even set up some "independent" stuff for you....I can suggest a book I think you will love (that I have read too) and we can talk about it!!!!

7. SORRY....one more thing: Please try out "commenting" on this blog....it is very much the same as GoogleClassroom....you click on COMMENTS at the end of this post, and, you will automatically be able to sign in (or you are probably already signed in anyway) with your gmail for school. Please try it out. Don't be scared. The water is fine. We all love you. You look fantastic today. Take a chance. Comment. Hahaha. But for realz tho....these sorts of "threads" will be much more seamless than email if you choose to partake in a discussion forum

I know I have droned on a lot, but I want everyone to feel VERY COMFORTABLE with what is going on right now. I try to give you as much info as I can give. Seniors, have a fantastic weekend!!!!!!!

Mr Goldsmith

PS: If you are in yearbook with ElChappelle, MEET YOUR DAMN DEADLINES YOU GUYSSSSSSSSS. Yearbooks are going to take on a NEW SPECIALNESS this year.....

xxoo



2 comments: