Monday, March 30, 2020

Day "sweet 16

Hello everyone. I am reminded of an old episode of SouthPark this morning--one of the dads is hanging out with his friend (the friend happens to be unemployed and HAS BEEN unemployed for years) on a lake, in a boat, fishing, on a Saturday. The dad says to his friend "aren't weekends the BEST?" And the friend replies: "When you're unemployed, weekends are meaningless."

It was funnier on the show...

I am reminded of this because, although I have a job (and so do you....you are a student!), weekends just are NOT the same. I don't know about you, but I love "earning" my weekend: A chance to relax and hang out at home and read and go outside. I don't feel like I've "earned" the weekend...ya know what I mean?

Nevertheless, I hope you got out and did some enjoyable things. In no particular order, I did the following: Bike ride with Maira....track workout with Callum...watched KING OF THE HILL (have you ever seen that show??? it is hilarious)...drank good coffee...fired up the charcoal BBQ and made some chicken and sausage....sat alone in my dark basement, alone, and cried (again......)

SO. Looking for something to do this morning? Your fellow senior, Kaelyn Pondy....I mean Lakey...had been working in guidance with the #RealDealTomMcNeil on putting together resources about available scholarships. Mr McNeil told me this morning that "I've sent the slide show to the students, but once they get an email they see from me, they usually delete it :/ "Haha. If you check your email, you will see that I have put a link that that wonderful slideshow. For some reason, I cannot figure out how to make this site (which IS a Google site, essentially) compatible with GoogleDocs stuff. It is frustrating. So that is why sometimes I will still email you "stuff." But, not to repeat myself again, but check this site for your OFFICIAL headquarters of class....yeay!

Looking for something else to do?? Why not write and post your writing as a "comment" on this blog...and we can have a sort of "on line" discussion about it. What should you write?? How about this??????

     The CoronaVirus has undoubtedly impacted our whole PLANET in some way or another. Many folks talk about the "bad" repercussions of this pandemic: Store closures, layoffs, deaths, illness, economical downfalls, etc. But is there any "silver lining?" In no more than 150 words (twitter used to have a limit of 140 words!!!), explain, describe, or argue the GOOD PARTS of this global pandemic. What are the "hidden gems" you are finding? Has anything improved? Are lives becoming enriched? Etc!!!!

I think even I will do this prompt with you!

FINALLY: DUAL ENROLLMENT PEOPLE: I had a virtual meeting with some teachers and admin this morning....stay tuned for OFFICIAL updates...but what it basically boils down to is that, in order to get the COLLEGE CREDIT for this class, there will be expectations, work, and assignments to finish. Please note: We are giving students the opportunity to "bow out" of the college credit portion of this class....you can continue to be "status quo" and have nothing technically "due" or "graded," until we get back and you can still get the WHS ENGLISH credit for the class. BUT, in order to get the college credit, there will be stuff to do. This is a fantastic time for those of you who are failing--or likely to fail, get a "D," etc--to "bow out" of the college portion and not risk having a bad grade on your official college transcript. Think about it. I will bring this up again....as will Mr Bell....but we are asking students to commit either one way or the other by the end of the week!

1 comment:

  1. "Good" parts of a global pandemic? I think that living through something challenging ALWAYS builds character. And I think this is no different. I started using the term "Corona Renaissance" to describe what might take place during this tragedy. Obviously, as one can remember through social studies classes, the "Renaissance" was a "rebirth" of art, music, culture, etc. I can totally see another Renaissance taking place HERE!!! Think of all the OPPORTUNITIES that exist to learn something NEW (and often cases, thanks to the Internet, for FREE!). I've really been focusing on my songwriting, for example. And I am trying to learn new card games. I'm also 'revamping' my running and working out frameworks. Maira is learning Spanish. Callum is learning Scrabble. Amanda is learning that marrying me was a bad idea lol. All in all, I think that "time" is a true gift during all this.

    ReplyDelete