Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day 4

Hi all. So let's talk about poetry....in particular, let's talk about SONGWRITING! So here's something new: I'm gonna share a video I just recorded yesterday...it is a song I wrote called "Kite. I have had the melody in my head for a while...usually, I get a cool melody....let it marinate in my messed up brain...and then start writing lyrics.....lots of times, I dont even know WHAT I am writing about until it is done....I get a certain "feeling" or "vibe" and just go with it. I challenge you to do the same thing: Write with the little editor in your head turned OFF. See what happens. Sometimes you will be left with garbage....and sometimes not.

Anyway, I wanted to post a link to my song--my wife recorded it yesterday afternoon. A funny thing happened during the recording: Normally, I have this "effect" on my keyboard that allows the notes to "echo" a bit more....but halfway through the song, that effect stopped working for some reason. I had tech issues...haha. But I just kept going. I figured, "eh...who cares." I fee like the song sort of "changed character" because of it...it become more rhythmical and it became something that needed percussion (hence my foot banging to the beat). What do you think of the song? No.....I don't mean "did you like it?" "did you hate it?" Although, feel free to tell me that....haha. BUT, consider the following:

* What images or thoughts came to mind as you listened?
* Do you think it is a happy song? Why or why not?
* What metaphors or symbolism do you see in the lyrics?
* What do you think the song is about?
* Does it put you in any sort of mood?
* Will you give me 31 dollars please?
* Is the "speaker" in the song showing any "conflict" with something??

Here are the lyrics! Then I will post the video link at the bottom!!

**********

KITE

Fire inside. Keeping me up when I'm trying to sleep
Fear aside. Do you remember what you said to me?
Raised on love. Raised on the limits of patience you've shown
Little more than when you say how I've changed since you've grown

I sat a long....I sat a long long long time....
I sat alone.....I sat a long long long time....

Days gone by. When I told you I loved you I didn't lie.
It knows no bounds; layer the years like thin paper, I'll bleed through
I can't help thinking I'm missing you-it's totally real
Gently forth-I'll continue against space and time hopelessly....

Chorus

Days gone by-gulped up by thunderstorms plaguing with fright
Definitely let's talk the way that we used to at night
Empty space curving horizon is all I can see
A laughter race; I'm hoping to reach you with this melody

I sat a long...I sat a long long long time
We played the day like two children with a kite
"Windy," I say; I put my strings out to fly
Strings out to fly......

All in time. When I told you I love you I didnt lie.

Jared Goldsmith 
March, 2020


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWJyiTZW9M

No comments:

Post a Comment